The Food and Farming Discovery Trust (FFDT) is a charitable incorporated organisation that was formed in 2016 under the umbrella of Norfolk’s agricultural association; ‘The Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association’ (RNAA), it manages more than 22 regional and national partnerships.
It was initially formed to establish a network for partners to work together on projects that enhance learning opportunities for young people and future consumers about the importance of locally sourced food and farming products.
Shannon Woodhouse heads up FFDT as Trust Manager and is supported by colleagues and a range of experts and partners from across education, science, technology, agriculture and communication.
Together, they had a successful first three years developing several novel educational initiatives, a blend of in-person activities, and both online and printable resources. As part of defining their strategy across the years that followed, the need to go digital was emphasised, with the core of this digitisation being a new Digital Hub.
The initial vision for the FFDT’s digital transformation was the creation of an easy to use, informative and appealing website that could host digital resources, set within the context of a wider digital engagement experience that encompasses learning, gamification, social media and loyalty. The overarching goal was for the Digital Hub to take visitors on a journey towards increased awareness, understanding and appreciation of food, farming and the countryside by:
- Presenting the FFDT as leading organisation in improving understanding and appreciation of farming, food production and land-based industries as a nationally vital sector
- Promoting access to healthy, seasonal and locally produced food, and connect communities to the countryside
- Educating young people, as well as the wider population, about the critical role agriculture plays in shaping the world we live in
- Providing young people with exposure to the different stages of food production, including current STEM research and innovation
- Informing young people about the opportunities that exist in Agri-Tech and land-based careers.
“Our new platform combines eye-catching graphics and detailed information, whilst interweaving gamification and social media, to create a Hub for food, farming and countryside education. Working with Motivait has been a brilliant experience, their enthusiasm, creativity and efficiency made the process both enjoyable and exciting.”
– Shannon Woodhouse, Trust Manager, FFDT